Healthy hair comes with natural hair care products
Having a healthy hair is a dream of every single person. So, what is a hair and it’s structure?
Hair is a biomaterial consisting mainly of a protein called keratin.
The structure of human hair is well known:
- the medulla is a loosely packed, disordered region near the center of the hair surrounded by
- the cortex, which contains the major part of the fiber mass, mainly consisting of keratin proteins and structural lipids.
- The cortex is surrounded by the cuticle, a layer of dead, overlapping cells forming a protective layer around the hair.
Scalp care is essential because it determines the health and condition of the hair and prevents the diseases of scalp and hair.
Many modern-day styling methods and hair care products can result in hair loss and cause hair damage by harming the hair cuticle through abrasion.
For example, Brazilian keratin treatments are a popular method of straightening hair, marketed as a great way to give curly or frizzy hair more smoothness and shine. However, the side effects and safety of these kinds of treatments have not been thoroughly assessed. In fact, too often many of the products used in Brazilian keratin treatments contain unsafe ingredients such as formaldehyde, which can cause structural changes to the hair shaft.
Results have also shown that straighteners and dyes can also cause chemical burns, dermatitis, alopecia, and hair breakage. Furthermore, the use of hair dyeing products has also been associated with cancer and other systemic diseases. In some cases, scientific studies have additionally observed other adverse reactions to hair dyeing products such as headaches, itching, and hair loss.
One of the number one hair problems that people experience is dryness. As you age, it’s normal for your hair to naturally make less oil.
However, dry hair is not a hair type – it is a sign of hair damage, but it is a condition that can be treated. Dry hair is hair that does not have adequate moisture, causing its sheen to reduce and giving it a frizzy and dull appearance. A dry scalp can also cause dandruff when it peels and sheds.
Hair dryness can be a result of a variety of factors, including environment, personal habits, hair, or physical health. One major cause of hair dryness is when the scalp doesn’t make enough oil to moisturize the hair, and so the hair has no natural lubrication. Another cause of dry hair is that the hair is unable to keep moisture locked in due to damaged protective cuticle layers.
Some factors that may be responsible for this kind of damage include:
– harsh hair products such as shampoos or gels
– blow drying
– heated hair tools such as straighteners or curling irons
– over-exposure to sun, wind, dry air, or chlorinated water
– chemical treatments such as hair dyes, perms, or relaxers
Fortunately, there are a few easy solutions to less dry, moisturized hair!
– Wash your hair less often, so as to not strip away your hair’s natural oils
– Cut down on blow drying and heat-styling
– Avoid harsh hair treatments such as dyeing or perming
– Avoid straighteners, curling irons, and electric rollers
– Use natural shampoos and hair products without alcohol by protecting and moisturizing the cuticle of the hair. The healthy and moisturized cuticle with natural shampoo and natural conditioner will support the cortex by providing oils back
– Follow shampooing with a moisturizing conditioner
– Add natural oils such as jojoba oil or coconut oil into your hair-care routine
– Protect your hair from the elements with hats, scarves, and other coverings
– Try a natural deep conditioning mask to provide oils back to the hair
Dilaura Naturals provides 100% natural hair care products for damaged, freeze, split ends, oily, dry hair type. Look up for the products and their ingredients at www.dilauranaturals.com
The opposite of dry hair is hair that is too oily.
The pores on your scalp have sebaceous glands, which secrete an oily substance called sebum and which gives hair its natural shine and smoothness. However, some sebaceous glands produce an excess of sebum, resulting in hair that is oily and greasy hair.
Some advice on dealing with oily hair is:
– Avoid touching your hair so there is no buildup of extra oil from your fingers or face
– Avoid using straighteners and flat irons, since sebum travels down straight hair easier than curly/wavy ones
– Avoid over-washing, since a scalp that is constantly being stripped of oils can try to replace those oils more forcefully
– Use conditioner sparingly, and only on the ends
– Avoid styling products like gels and mousses, which will weigh down your hair and cause more buildup
Another problem that people experience is hair loss.
Hair loss is a condition that can have many causes, ranging from natural, medical, and even nutritional. Peppermint oil has been proven to have many beneficial effects, owing in part to the fact that a major constituent of peppermint oil is menthol. Scientific studies have shown that the topical application of peppermint oil not only stimulates hair growth, but also helps prevent hair loss. Coconut oil also has a protective effect on damaged hair, thanks to its ability to penetrate into the hair cuticle and cortex.
Here are some additional general tips and tricks to healthier, happier hair!
– Treat your hair gently: when washing and drying, no pulling, twisting, roughly scrubbing, or wringing it out
– Use lukewarm water when shampooing and cold water when rinsing out conditioner, since hot water can be damaging
– Let your hair air dry instead of blow drying
– Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb instead of brushing it, since brushing can cause breakage
– If brushing, use a boar bristle brush, made specifically to pull your hair’s oils from the roots down to the tips
– Avoid hairstyles that pull on your hair
– Try a leave-in conditioner or a homemade hair mask
– Try a scalp massage, which will stimulates circulation near the roots of your hair
– Use hair products with natural ingredients, and avoid products that have harmful sulfates, silicones, and alcohols
– Add nutritious foods with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and iron into your diet
– Get your hair regularly trimmed every few months to get rid of any dry ends
The hair loss can be also due to the thyroid disorder, when thyroid hormones are out of balance. The use of fragrances/air fresheners/body sprays can trigger disbalance of thyroid hormones.
This article is written to provide you information how to get healthy hair.